Arizona Votes to Increase Minimum Wage and Establish Paid Sick Time
On November 8, 2016, Arizona voters approved the Fair Wages and Healthy Families Act (Proposition 206), which:
- Increases the minimum wage to $10 per hour in 2017, then gradually to $12 per hour by 2020.
- Provides 40 hours of earned paid sick time per year to employees of large employers (24 hours for employees of small employers).
Scheduled increases to the minimum wage are as follows:
- Effective January 1, 2017, $10 per hour.
- Effective January 1, 2018, $10.50 per hour.
- Effective January 1, 2019, $11 per hour.
- Effective January 1, 2020, $12 per hour.
- Effective January 1, 2021, increases will be based on increases in the cost of living.
The act also has notice, posting, and recordkeeping requirements.
Read Proposition 206