Question: While auditing I-9’s, we found an employee with an expired permanent resident identification. She does not have a current card and does not believe she will be able to produce an updated card. Do we need to reverify her?

Answer: No. In most cases, lawful permanent residents (LPRs) do not need to be reverified. U.S. citizens and noncitizen nationals never need reverification. Do not reverify the following documents:

  • Expired U.S. passport or passport card.
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card/Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
  • List B document that has expired.

However, if a lawful permanent resident presents his or her employer with temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status for Section 2, then reverification may be necessary. Temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status includes:

  • A foreign passport with a temporary Form I-551 stamp or I-551-printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa (MRIV) (acceptable as a List A document).
  • An expired Permanent Resident Card with Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that the card is valid for an additional year (acceptable as a List C document).
  • A Form I-94 with a temporary Form I-551 stamp, which is a receipt for the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551). At the end of the receipt validity period, which is the expiration date of the stamp, the employee must present his or her Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).

Learn more by reading Completing Section 3, Reverification and Rehires and Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9.