From the Hotline: Receipt for Application for Social Security Card

Question: Can we hire a non-U.S. citizen who does not have, but has applied for, a Social Security card?

Answer: Although the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) allows an employee to present a receipt in place of a lost or stolen Social Security card, a receipt for application for a Social Security card is not an acceptable List C document for proof of eligibility to work in the United States. In order for this employee to be allowed to work for your company, he or she must provide either a document from List A or documents from both List B and List C as listed on the Form I-9.