From the Hotline: Documentation Required for Bonding After Adoption Under FMLA

Question: What documentation is required for bonding after adoption for Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) time off?

Answer: Typically, employers require a birth certificate or adoption papers to grant an employee’s request for leave for bonding after adoption. Some employers have devised a form to be completed and certified by the placement professional or agency, which has the placement documentation attached.