Background Checks for Employees with Access to Federal Tax Information
On May 9, 2017, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed legislation (S.B. 1209) authorizing state administrative departments to obtain criminal history background checks on all their employees and contractors with access to federal tax information. The law also requires:
- All such employees or contractors to:
- Agree to a local background check and the release of all investigative records to the state government to verify criminal history information;
- Supply a fingerprint sample;
- Submit to a state criminal history background check and investigation by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation; and
- Submit to a national criminal history background check to be conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Departments or contractors to pay incurred costs.
- Departments to establish written policies related to background check investigations.
The law was effective upon enactment.
Read TN S.B. 1209
On May 9, 2017, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed legislation (S.B. 1214) removing the requirement that sole proprietors and partners must provide notice to the Tennessee Bureau of Workers’ Compensation when electing to be included under the workers’ compensation law. The law also renames the second injury fund to subsequent injury and vocational recovery fund and authorizes the bureau to use money from the fund to provide vocational recovery assistance to employees with certain limitations.
The law is effective as of May 9, 2017.
Read TN S.B. 1214