What We’re Reading – February 2019
At ThinkHR, we love to share our knowledge of all things people risk management. One of the ways we do this is by curating timely human resources stories from across the web. Here are nine articles that caught our eye this month.
6 Statistics on Office Romance
Despite #MeToo, surveys find office romances are still going strong. Workplaces typically discourage coworkers from getting romantically involved. These six statistics suggest that a better tactic might be to accept they may be unavoidable and rethink (and communicate) policies and training around them.
5 Ways to Prevent Employee Burnout
Employees in all kinds of businesses report burnout as a reason for seeking greener pastures. In this labor market, it’s important not to drive valued employees away. Burnout is preventable, if you know what behaviors contribute to it. Get 5 tips for avoiding burnout.
- Read more on Inc.
- Not sure if your company has a burnout problem? Find out by conducting an employee engagement survey.
Firing with Compassion
How a company terminates an employee says a lot about its culture and its management. Candor, discretion, and a consistently followed process can go a long way toward demonstrating how your company respects and values its employees. Get tips for compassionately letting employees go.
- Read more on HR Dive.
- Use our Termination Toolkit to get all the resources you need to handle terminations in a compliant and compassionate manner. (ThinkHR customers only.)
HR is the First Line of Cybersecurity Defense
Cybersecurity is every employee’s business – it’s not just the responsibility of IT. Training is important and can go a long way in building defense, but a new study found that a strong cybersecurity culture is key. Most companies have a long way to go before they get there. Find out how you can improve yours.
- Read more on HR Executive.
- Watch our February 14 webinar on cybersecurity. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Accommodations for Cold
You can’t do anything to change the cold winter weather outside, but you are responsible for the temperature in your workplace. While OSHA merely suggests a comfortable temperature range, the EEOC and the ADA might require you to accommodate employees who are sensitive to cold temperatures.
- Read more on AskJAN.
- If an employee requests accommodations, refer to our ADA Medical Leave Administration Checklist. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Keep Staff Safe this Winter
Winter is not over yet, so it’s still a good time to address safety concerns and avoid workers’ compensation claims resulting from ice, snow, sleet, or cold. A robust winter safety plan can reduce the risk of injuries to your workers.
- Read more on Business Insurance.
- Prevent the risk of workplace injuries with ThinkHR’s Workplace Safety guidance, including dozens of employee training courses in English and Spanish. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Tips for Remote Workers
While studies have shown that remote workers tend to be more productive than on-site workers, they run the risk of burnout and isolation. Share these seven tips to help remote employees stay balanced and satisfied with their jobs for the long haul.
- Read more on Trello’s blog.
- Having solid policies for remote work (and everything else) is key. Find out if your employee handbook needs updating with the free downloadable Employee Handbook Self-Audit.
NYC Bans Hairstyle Discrimination
New York City’s Human Rights Commission released guidance prohibiting discrimination at work, school, and public spaces based on hair or hairstyles. While the law protects everyone, it is specifically aimed at preventing racial discrimination. Penalties can be as high as $250,000 and there is no cap on damages.
- Read more on the New York Times.
- Get federal and state-specific anti-discrimination guidance on Comply. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Tax Season is Coming
The IRS is back up and running following the government shutdown and is now processing 2018 taxes. Employers and employees are reporting lots of tax-time surprises in the first full tax season under the new tax reform law. Find out what you can expect.
- Listen on Marketplace by NPR.
- Get federal and state-specific guidance on payroll taxes and withholding. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Be in the Know with ThinkHR
Find out how ThinkHR’s suite of solutions can help you anticipate, reduce, and mitigate people risks with our free download, The Case for People Risk Management. To subscribe to this blog, please enter your email into the box at the right to get notified of when new content is posted. Plus, follow ThinkHR on Twitter and LinkedIn.