What We’re Reading – November 2018
We scour the web for interesting and actionable HR news and information, so you don’t have to. Here are 10 curated stories that caught our attention this month.
Go Beyond Veteran’s Day
Veteran’s Day was November 11, and although it’s a one-day observance, it serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of hiring and supporting veterans. Not only does it make you a good corporate citizen, it also has multiple benefits to your business.
- Read more on HR Executive.
- Get information on the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) including regulations, fact sheet, poster, and link to a toolkit for hiring veterans. (ThinkHR customers only.)
10 Takeaways from the Midterm Elections
In the midterm elections November 6, Democrats recaptured the House while Republicans retained their majority in the Senate. What does this mean for employers? Here are the top 10 things to expect in the labor and employment law arena.
- Read more on Fisher Phillips.
- Get alerts about federal and state laws as the news breaks. (ThinkHR customers only.) Law alerts are also aggregated for every other Monday on this blog.
- Plus: Attend a webinar for ThinkHR customers and partners, HR and Compliance Year in Review, on December 11. This webinar is eligible for HRCI and SHRM credit.
Stop Speaking in Jargon
HR professionals often fall into the trap of becoming disconnected from internal clients by using jargon-heavy language to communicate strategy. Learning to speak the same language as your leadership can help you demonstrate your value to the organization.
- Read more on Talent Management and HR.
- Watch an on-demand webinar, Maximize Your HR Leadership Effectiveness, to learn how you can prove your value to leadership. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Be a Better Business Writer
Once you are speaking the language of business instead, the next step is to write like a leader. Following these eight tips can make your written communications sing, even if words don’t come naturally to you.
- Read more on Fast Company.
- Let ThinkHR do the writing for you. We can help you create customized and compliant ERISA notices with our Benefits Compliance Suite and employee handbooks with our Employee Handbook Builder.
The Risks of Hiring for Diversity
The 21st Century workforce is diverse, and most employers recognize the value of recruiting and hiring to increase diversity in their organizations. How can you foster diversity while limiting the risk of discrimination or reverse discrimination claims?
- Read more on HR Dive.
- Use the Recruiting Toolkit and read up on discrimination compliance. (ThinkHR customers only.)
Undermanagement is as Much a Problem as Micromanagement
Some of the best-liked managers are generally very competent at many aspects of their jobs, but can fall into the trap of undermanagement by avoiding conflict, not paying enough attention to performance management, or lacking accountability. There are ways they can rise above undermanagement without swinging too far the other way into micromanagement.
- Read more on Harvard Business Review.
- Need help with a sticky employee management issue? ThinkHR’s expert advisors are standing by to take your call.
10 Questions to Gauge if You Are a Good Manager
As a manager, your goal is to make your team better, and there are often metrics by which you can determine the success of your team. But how can you measure how well you (or the managers you manage) are doing? Start by asking yourself these 10 questions.
- Read more on Quartz at Work.
- Are you a good manager? Or a good engineer, salesperson, or other employee? ThinkHR is growing. Check out open positions.
8 Tips for Handling Tough Employee Conversations
Uncomfortable conversations about personal behaviors and poor performance are tough and putting them off just allows the problems to worsen. Use your knowledge of the situation and put together the right combination of management skills to tackle the talk now.
6 Components of Solid New Hire Check-ins
Regular check-ins with new hires can foster engagement and retention, and many organizations recognize their value. The challenge is to structure these check-ins to ensure they meet the needs of the company as well as the employee without being so cumbersome they get neglected.
- Read more on HR Bartender.
- Before you onboard your new staff, you need to recruit and hire them. Start with our Job Description Builder and then use our New Hire Toolkit. (ThinkHR customers only.)
5 Ways to Inspire Workplace Creativity
Fostering creative thinking by your employees can help them bring brilliant ideas not just to the table, but to life. An organizational psychologist explains five ways HR professionals can inspire creativity.